Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sapa

Against my own better judgement, while in Hanoi I took another organized tour to see the mountains and terraced rice fields of Sapa.

When I was traveling, including the first day I arrived in Jakarta, I heard from numerous other people that Sapa is one of the most beautiful places and is a must see in Vietnam.

I was intrigued and signed up for a three night two day visit.  Two of those nights are overnight train, and you start trekking in the mountains as soon as you arrive, with a hotel night stay in between.  


Had to take another night train to the mountain town of Sapa
Took a sleeping pill as soon as I got in my bunk and never talked to my travel mates
Don't remember any of this....it is very early and the sleeping pill had not yet worn off


A 40 minute van ride and breakfast followed...can't remember any of it  ;)
After a shower you get trekking right away.  It is going to be a long day....


In Vietnam they play cards right in the middle of the street
A little taste of the rice terraces we are going to see tomorrow

My fellow trekkers...a Malaysian family and a Dutch/Vietnamese couple

Vendors followed us for hours


Sapa was beautiful and full of mountain air


Our intrepid guide Dinh
Malaysian family got tired so we cut the trek short...

...and rented motorcycles to go see some waterfalls

"have a good time" !!
Picked up some other trekkers along the way









Got lots of exercise this day....nothing compared to what tomorrow is going to bring though...


Very tired by the end of this day....

..but had a hotel room tonight instead of a bumpy train berth.

No comments:

Post a Comment