Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Overnight Train - Hanoi to Hue

Took the overnight sleeper train from Hanoi to Hue.  The hotel booked the ticket and collected the fare, they put you in a taxi to take you to the station, and when I got there I was surprised to see the guy from the hotel!!  He followed the taxi in his motorcycle, he paid the taxi, and then carried my bag right into my train compartment for me.  This is probably the only time in my life I will enjoy such luxury.

The train has 4 classes....two class of cars with seats, a sleeper car with 6 berths, and a sleeper with 4 berths per compartment.  The hotel just assumed I wanted the 4 berth compartment and booked me in there.

It is not a luxury train, but the bed was very comfortable, and the bumpy ride was relaxing and I got a good nights sleep.  It was really a lot of fun and maybe I will get a chance to do it again while I am here.  It is a 12 hour ride......11pm to 11am....and at the other end the hotel in Hue had staff waiting to pick me up.
The station is pretty nice and functional





All aboard....my first overnight train


Great service !!!  Could never afford this back home, and I'm happy to sample such luxury this one time


Very comfy beds.  The ride is bumpy but it is smooth and the rhythm puts you into a great sleep


Lots of room even for me


Took awhile to get to know this guy...and then he never left me alone


Bathroom was fine.  Functional.  Better than it looks
Brush your teeth with bottled water....always ;)


Very nice and friendly attendant


All the neighbors were super friendly....just like everyone in Vietnam




Dining car....pretty good and not expensive
There is room service too


When you wake up you can enjoy the scenery




Small town station...you can jump out and buy snacks




Arrived at Hue


It was very hot today







Happy to get to my comfy $23 hotel room

No comments:

Post a Comment