Monday, May 26, 2014

Hoi An

Took the bus to Hoi An from Hue.  A mere $6 dollars and you get picked up at your hotel and dropped off 3 hours later in Hoi An.  A whole wasps nest of motorcycles awaited me on the other end to extort ridiculously high taxi fare.  I was able to save $5 by walking the 10 blocks to the hotel.

Hoi An is a big tourist draw and is famous as the culinary capital of Vietnam.  Of course I didn't try all the food here and it was very good everywhere but culinary capital is something the town council dreamed up I think.

The downtown core is quite touristy but pleasant enough.  In Hoi An you would want to get a hotel a few KM from the center and then use the hotels free bicycles to get around.  The town is very nice and authentic outside of the center and there are many very good restaurants.

My first day I took the bicycle two km to the local beach to have dinner.  It was very nice and easy ride and the restaurants there were very good and not expensive.  A nice family beach.

The bus was packed full of tired tourists

The bus allows you to see the sights
Passed through Da Nang
Another very nice $25 room.  Splurging but how to resist?
This pool was very nice and I made good use of it
A pool is a big deal for me....my past hotels around the world usually never have one....so it was a big treat
The hotel rooms had nice patios
Views of the city...next door was a tree nursery

This was definitely a family beach and full of kids

A successful day of traveling

No comments:

Post a Comment