Thursday, May 8, 2014

Wonderful Alive Hanoi

Hanoi was not what I expected.  Instead of a crazy busy crammed-full south-east asian city the downtown core is a charming and lively center full of young and old people enjoying life.  And at night it is mostly an area full of young happy people.

The central area is winding streets with restaurants and cafes non-stop.  The food is incredibly varied and I have yet to eat one dish that I know from restaurants back home.  Cars are still not common and surprisingly quiet motorcycles are the transportation of choice.  It is very nice and social as no one is hidden away behind the anonymous mask of protecting steel and tinted glass.  

The street cafes and restaurants dominate this downtown area like no other city I have visited.

Bright shining youth are everywhere in Hanoi
There is always somewhere to sit and have a drink or snack


This is not a Muslim country and beer is 50 or 75 cents
Just pull up a small red chair and join the crowds

You always see the old ways just around the corner
I followed this woman with my camera after buying the most expensive banana in Hanoi
She crossed the busy road and then disappeared onto the other side
The next day we saw each other and she laughed when I remembered how expensive my banana was



No comments:

Post a Comment