Friday, April 4, 2014

Ubud, Bali



Spent 4 days in Ubud, Bali.....probably should of spent more time at Padang Bai or some other laid back beach town....but instead I'm in tourist central.  It is ok because Bali delivers and everywhere is special.  

Stayed in a guesthouse that may have been the highest building in Ubud and they had a wonderful common area deck on the 4th floor where I read many books and drank tea.

Located in the center of rice paddies, and with windows open 24/7 as there was no A/C, you would spend your time listening to the relative quiet of countless Cicadas and other very noisy creatures.  I could not imagine a bug being able to make so much noise.

Rented a motorbike for a couple of days and took long drives into the countryside until the road petered out and I had to go back so not to get lost.  I'm pretty tall and lanky for a scooter and it wasn't so easy riding in traffic.  Riding over a bumpy path through the guest house rice paddy and put my foot down in the field for balance and got a very big surprise....and now I know how deep and sticky the mud is.  Must be pretty hard working those rice fields.

Read one of my favorite books so far...."The Giant" by Hilary Mantel.  Good book to read if you are not satisfied with your path in life.


Spent a lot of time enjoying the view...which is even better at night time when the symphony starts
The guesthouse fields
There was a very good busy Italian restaurant on my street....and I ate here 5 times!

Have to go the Monkey Jungle in Ubud!!  Finally got my first mosquito bite

This guy had attitude

No one is shy in the Monkey Jungle....and if you have bananas you better watch out

5 seconds later this guy was taking a piece out of my ankle
 
Germans everywhere...my guesthouse was all Germans.  Very friendly.

Working on the Pergola....

Next day.....work continues....

Day 3 and it is time to take a weekend break
So frickin' hot it was a good idea to shave my head



Art, music, and religion...you are surrounded by it in Bali.


For sure Indonesia is one of the friendliest countries I have ever visited.  An amazingly large population of 247 million people who know how to get along with a smile and acts of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment